Culinary & Pastry Arts
In our Culinary & Pastry Arts program you will:
- Work side-by-side preparing dishes with professional chefs to produce the finest quality restaurant food.
- Design cakes and pastries from scratch.
- Expand your abilities using our professional equipment and cookware.
- Establish the skills, work habits and confidence to succeed in the most respected local and national culinary post-secondary schools through ourProStart certified program.
- Feel the pride and enjoyment of becoming a professional chef, one of the most widely respected and creative professions in the world.
What You Can Learn
Culinary & Food Preparation Skills // Baking and & Pastry Techniques // Catering & Banquet Services // Food Safety & Sanitation // Professional Equipment Operation // Dining Room Guest Services
What You Can Become
(with additional education and training)
Baker // Caterer, Chef // Food Service Director // Pastry Chef // Prep Cook // Restaurant Manager // Restaurant Owner // Registered Dietician // Food Scientist
What You Can Earn
10 College Credits in this pathway // ServeSafe National Restaurant Education Foundation Sanitation Certificate // ProStart National Restaurant Education Foundation Certificate
SUGGESTED PREREQUISITE COURSES:
Algebra, Business Math
SUGGESTED SIMULTANEOUS COURSES:
Chemistry, Technical Writing
CAREER HIGH VALUE SOFT SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Proper Hygiene (defined by Board of Health), Professional Appearance, Physically Fit to Stand for Hours at a Time, Fine Motor Skills
15 years in education at CRTC; active in Skills USA: National Education Team member and judge; prepared many students for state and national competitions 40 years in the hospitality industry, including restaurants of various styles and food service facilities
Received training at Culinary Institute of America, Johnson and Wales University, NE Culinary Institute: Teaching Certification; NRAEF-certified Servsafe Instructor
golf, cooking, skiing, beach time
BAKING & PASTRY WORKFORCE SPECIALIST /
SPECIAL EVENTS COORDINATOR
7 years experience in the baking and pastry industry including high-end style bakeries, and chocolate shops.
Associate’s degree in Baking and Pastry from The Culinary Institute of America. Certified in ServSafe.
Hiking, kayaking, camping, and spending time with family and friends.